I'd like to take a moment to sincerely apologize for my lack in updates; the run of the mill excuses apply, plus copious amounts of food-induced laziness, good wine, family, and friends. What's a girl to do?
So in the past 2.5 months since my last post, I have successfully and thoroughly completed TWO, I repeat, TWO, Skills development skills. Hurrah for me, eh? Skills I: stocks, sauces, and soups, and Skills II: introduction to starch, protein, and vegetable cookery, were both extremely successful. Both of those classes focus on individual work, rather then a team effort. Bechamel, Chicken Fricasse, Fish Veloute, Jardiniere Vegetables, or Braised Short Ribs anyone? Just a few of the things that both classes covered, amongst a myriad of other classical french recipes. Upon completion of both of these classes, I returned home to sunny Arizona, arriving to a 75 degree sunny environment and the comfort of family and close friends. Although it was an awesome trip, I was anxious as usual to get back to class and my third Skills Development class.
Skills III, is a class that builds upon the past two classes, in that it takes the fundamental cooking techniques and recipes and utilizes them for larger production. Instead of cooking for two, you cook for twenty. Also, this class is totally team based; team prep, production, effort, and team grade. I've been fortunate enough to work with skilled classmates, learning and growing from each experience; this class is running as smooth as buttah.
Externship Update: Many of you may know, I have been extremely interested and dedicated to pursuing an externship abroad in Italy to study with Chef Salvatore Denaro, of Il Bacco Felice (the chef I worked with during Worlds of Flavor 2008). Unfortunately, contacting my food and wine loving lazy italians is extremely difficult, so I've been looking into alternatives. How does Honolulu, Hawaii sound? Or lovely Vancouver, Canada? Just two locations i'm interested in.
In other news, another conference is taking place at school this week: World of Healthy Flavors Conference... No cooking has even occurred, and I'm in heaven already. Oh how the healthy meals soothe my soul.
Some pictures to calm the mind;

Much Love to all,
Izzy

No comments:
Post a Comment