Hello all, and happy Sunday to you! Today is September 6, 2009 and I am the definition of lazy bones today. Had to take FULL advantage of my three day weekend. My feet deserved it after two weeks of closed toed shoes and the CIA! Movies, food, and a little bit of homework time thrown in and i'm set. (The homework makes the whole day justifiable). Luckily I had the opportunity to walk into town last night with some girls, and got to see the whole sha-bang. Most of the stores were closed, but I could definitely do some serious damage at the Chocolate Store.
In town there are 3 grocery stores; Sunshine Foods Market, A natural food store, and safeway. Sunshine Foods is AWESOME! It's like a mini whole foods, but combined with a Trader Joe's type feel. Definitely lovin' it, but my debit card does not :( I gotta learn to stick with Safeway...
Since my last post, I had an awesome opportunity to go to a lecture given by Charlie Bamforth, Ph.D. Charlie Bamforth is a professor of Malting and Brewing Sciences at the University of California, Davis. All I can say is this guy has got some serious style; he knows how to work a crowd! Aside from his amazing oratory skills, he knows his beer. He gave a bried desrciption on the origins and composition of most beers.
Fun Fact: The biggest use of rice in the country is used to make Bud and Bud Light. The rice takes away the harsh flavor in the beer, and gives it a lighter color. Good to know, eh? Anyways, he walked us through the brewing and fermenting process which I really enjoyed. People drink beer as if they were drinking water; justify your drinking with a little bit of knowledge and history next time!
Fun Fact: The hopps that are in beer are derived only from FEMALE plants. Hopps help to stabilize foam, provide aroma and bitterness, and are full of anti-microbials. Also, Romans used hopps as an addition in green salads. --> I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.
Fun Fact: The closest relative to hopps is marijuana.
Alright enough of that. After a brief history, we QUICKLY moved on to tasting. We tried four beers:
1. Gordon Biersch Hefeweissen
2. Lagunitas IPA (India Pale Ale)
3. Lindemans Cuvee Rene
4. Lindemans Kriek
Overall, such an interesting day! Learned so much about beer that I didn't know before. Gotta love being able to go to school and keep the learning diversified, right?
Can't chat much long today, I've got some serious R&R to get to, but I just would like to mention that I have officially moved in to my brand new pad :) Everything I could've wanted in a college dorm and more! The whole building is "green" complete with water saving toilets and sinks! No queen bed unfortunately, but the twinsie will just have to do the trick. Unfortunately, the kitchen isn't open yet, but the 2 viking refrigerators and 2 viking range-tops have been installed.
UPCOMING EVENTS: Flavor Quality and American Menu's conference: September 8,9, and 12
Final week of Block 1! Only four days left of Gastronomy and Math....whatever will I do.
Hope everyone's labor day festivities are a blast; I'll check back in soon and try and post some pictures.
xoxo
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment